Thursday, May 15, 2008

Notes From a Good Night


Last night a bunch of us from Free Speech TV went to Double Daughters to celebrate our co-worker Jiah's green card acquisition! After a few beers and my sweetheart Hillary's arrival, many hours of debate about the role of the media in social change, and people's struggles and pleasures with our work, we departed ways.

Hillary, who joined us later in the night, and I went to the Wynkoop Brewery for one last beer. As we left we ran into an incredible guy named Ben from Turkey. He was quick-witted and bouncy, poetic in his sensibility, frantic, and charming. Curious, I asked him if he knew Turkish video artist Koken Ergun. He both knew and loved Ergun's work. It was fantastic!

Jumping up and down, Ben spent a slice of the evening talking about the corruption of all politicians. When I made a slightly warm remark about Obama, and I'm not particularly sure what inspired me to do so as I feel chilly towards electoral politics, he bounced about firmly scolding me for my belief in politicians. He commented that all the good people, the smart people stay away from politics as they know that politics is corrupt and corrupting. Egg size drops of rain began to plop on us. Ben ran across the street and into a hotel. Hillary and I pedaled back to Clayton in the windy rainy night.

No comments: