Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Confessions and the Denver Zine Fest


Sometimes I miss the mark. For years I was skeptical about Do-It-Yourself print projects called zines. The idea that a person would avoid editorial review, print something about their own lives, and then expect other people to read it seemed ridiculous.

I had a thousand conversations with friends about the limitations of the form and even when my friend was teaching a Zine class at a Chicago Highschool, I maintained my skepticism. It wasn't until I moved to Denver and met Kelly Shortandqueer, Anna Inazu, Nia King, and other local zinesters who patiently exposed me to their work that I began to get it.

I am always grateful for forgiving friends who allow me my skepticism, sometimes for years, before reaching an appreciation that a more intelligent person would achieve much quicker.

Now, having mostly recovered from that particular doltish skepticism I am really excited about the Denver Zine Fest put on my the good folks of the Denver Zine Library on Saturday, May 31st. The event will be filled with workshops, talks, and zine sales. Everybody should try to come down for a bit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that I'm going to add to my resume: "Saved Kyle from 'that particular doltish skepticism'". What do you think? I'm guessing that this will get me pretty far in life.

(on a side note, I saw that "Kelly" is a keyword. Does that mean you're going to keep writing about me? Is this your way to keep me coming back and becoming a Couch Potato Revolutionary myself?)