Saturday, February 24, 2007

Pandora: The Computer DJ


So yesterday at work I was struggling to get through a whole ot of data entry and decided I needed to listen to the radio. I spent a few minutes foibling through Live365 Stations trying to get them to work. My friend Madelaine was at the copy machine across the hall and I grumbled to her about my frustration. She said, "have you tried Pandora?" I hadn't. So she got me to go to pandora.com, a radio station created by the Music Genome Project. A group of musicians, musicologists, and music geeks got together and created aproximately 400+ attributes of various songs. At pandora.com, you enter a song or artist you like and it actually creates a radio station based on shared attributes. The service is free and paid for by advertising. It's totally worth checking out! I've been listening to a mix of The Coup, Against Me! and Scott Matthew attributed songs. It's bliss!

No comments: