Thursday, February 8, 2007

Flaherty Film Seminar Announced


What a day! First thing this morning, I found spiders next to my winter biking clothes. I think I'll take it as good luck!

4 one hour meetings in a row and a morning of prep! New shows, new projects, outreach strategies, and a search for a new executive director. Things are really exciting at Free Speech TV.

I read the announcement for the Flaherty Film Seminar and I'm really hoping to go this year. I went several years back and it was a transformative experience. Going again will be a blast. Below is the description from the Flaherty Website.

"This Year's Seminar - South of the Other: Chronicles of anti-colonial guerilla uprisings, contemporary telenovelas, popular dramas and traditional fables share startling commonalities: all reveal, reshape, and unsettle global cultural identities. Shifting southward to Asia, Latin America, and Africa, the 53rd Robert Flaherty Filml Seminar will probe how myriad world cinemas over the past forty years have expolded, invented and reconceived the Other. Co-curators Mahen Bonetti and Carlos GutiƩrrez will present diverse works exploring migration, homelands, Third Cinema, and the popular. Invited artists include Abderrahmane Sissako, Ximena Cuevas, Khalo Matabane, Theo Eshetu, and Kalup Linzy."

No comments: