Friday, July 11, 2008

1-2-3 Community Space and the Bed-Stuy Block Party




Last night I visited my friends Dara and Josh in Bed-Stuy. They took me to a block party put on by the 1-2-3 Community Space, a New York-based anarchist collective. Of all the anti-authoritarian events I've been to, this was one of the best. First of all, neighborhood folks came out in full force. Hip-Hoppers, spoken work artists, various automobile clubs, and anarchists wandered around listening to music and enjoying the warm evening. What I loved about the event was that it was not so judgemental, anarchistically more holy than thou that folks came out without worrying about acting right, being punk enough, or being overwhelmed by white cultural presumptions. The event was intergenerational, joyful, and revolutionary in its inclusiveness, pleasure, and cultural integration.

No comments: