Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Cuba, Angel's Barbershop, and a Slushy Bike Ride


I worked from home today watching a number of movies right in my living room in Denver, Colorado. At about 3:30 I took my lunch break and went to Angel's Barbershop on Colfax Ave. He gave me a nice hair-cut, a conservative look, and we chatted with a tall, lanky white guy about everything from super bowl bets to our jobs. When the guy found out I worked at Free Speech TV, he got all excited exclaiming that it was the only thing he'd watch on television. He especially loves Democracy Now, saying it was the only place he could get good information. NBC, CBS, and ABC were all filled with lies.

I biked home from the barber shop, getting wet with slush, and watched "The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil." It did a great job showing how Cuba, post-Soviet collapse has survived using Permaculture, Urban Gardening, and a variety of alternative energy sources. It compared U.S. and Cuban attitudes towards energy.

No comments: