Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Utopia is For Walking


For those of you getting frustrated with Utopian quests, don't forget Eduardo Galeano's beautiful quote, first shared with me by my friend Bettina at last year's Renewing the Anarchist Tradition and reappearing to me most recently in Constituent Imagination:

Utopia is on the horizon: I walk too steps, it takes two steps back. I walk ten steps and it is ten steps further away. What is utopia for? It is for this, for walking.

The strange thing about this quote is that it often floats around without an original source. It gets passed on like Emma Goldman's most famous quote, the one she never said:

If I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution.

Perhaps the best things people say are the things they never said. Perhaps, Galeano proves this point wrong. Either way, these two quotes work for me.

No comments: